Ports & Seaports
Youssef + Partners has developed specialized expertise in the complexities surrounding ports, seaports, and marine and inland terminal disputes of all kinds and has been involved in some of the largest disputes in the region.
Ports and seaports are integral components of international trade, serving as key links between businesses and countries around the globe. Youssef + Partners has developed specialized expertise in the complexities surrounding ports, seaports, and marine and inland terminal disputes of all kinds. We offer legal counsel in the Middle East and beyond, including in the seaport, construction, supply chain management, and container terminal management industries. From pre-dispute negotiations to handling disputes, our experienced attorneys have the knowledge and experience to successfully navigate the challenging legal landscape of ports and seaports. We provide legal assistance to clients in a variety of matters, including contractual agreements, dispute resolution and arbitration, and regulatory compliance.
Youssef + Partners is proud to have been involved in some of the largest disputes in the region, including disputes over seaport and terminal concessions, BOTs, and PPPs in the Middle East and Africa. Our firm is counsel to some of the biggest players in the seaport, construction, supply chain management, and container terminal management business, providing them with the advice and legal assistance needed to protect their interests.
Our services include:
- Representation in commercial and investment treaty arbitrations concerning investments in seaports and marine and inland terminals.
- Handling disputes arising from the construction, operation, and management of seaports and container terminals.
- Advising on regulatory and licensing issues, expansions, divestment, and exit.
- Regulatory litigation concerning licensing and regulatory issues.
- Advising on contractual issues related to seaport and terminal management, supply chain management, and related banking transactions.
Contact us to learn more about how our expertise in the ports and seaports industry can help protect your business interests.
- Our international arbitration group successfully represented global supply chain management company KGL in Kuwait and its Egyptian JV in the second-largest commercial claim historically against the Egyptian state or a state entity involving claims and counterclaims in excess of USD 2.3 billion in relation to the termination of a 40-year concession agreement between the Damietta Port Authority and a consortium of some of the world’s largest shipping, port logistics, and supply-chain management companies including KGL, China Shipping, and CMS, for the build, operate and transfer of the Damietta seaport second container terminal. Egyptian authority liable over cancelled port project – Global Arbitration Review (Damietta International Ports Company “DIPCO” v. Damietta Port Authority “DPA”, ICC 21341/MCP/DDA).
- Karim A. Youssef acted as a legal expert in a dispute concerning one of Egypt’s main eastern seaports between an Egyptian billionaire and one of the world’s largest port management and terminal operator companies.