Government contracts & disputes
Our arbitration and litigation team played a leading role in major disputes arising from the Arab Spring in Egypt and in other regional hotspots since 2011. The firm’s involvement procured significant victories and high-profile settlements in some of Egypt’s, and the region’s, most significant government contract claims. The challenges of Arab Spring claims required devising creative solutions and many of the firm’s victories for its client include groundbreaking decisions. The firm’s transactional team also represented investors in the negotiations and drafting of important infrastructure agreements with Governments or government entities.
Industry & practice-specific highlights:
- We are counsel to investors in major commercial claims in what has become to be known as the “Steam Boilers” case. The dispute relates to the judicial unwinding of the Privatization Program of Egypt, which was implemented in the mid-1990s, and other Mubarak-era transactions in the aftermath of the 2011 revolution.
- The firm’s team advised Egyptian investors in relation to the unwinding of the privatization of the former Egyptian paper company.
- We represent a global behemoth in waste management in complex commercial claims arising from a major city-wide comprehensive waste management contract with a Middle Eastern state.
- We represent a consortium of some of the largest companies in the sea port industry in relation to the termination of a long-term concession with a government entity for the build-operate-transfer of a new container terminal in one of the Middle East’s largest and busiest ports.
- We represent a leading construction company in claims against a state agency concerning works performed in one of the largest residential development projects in Egypt.
- We advise a major government-owned Middle Eastern airline in relation to a cluster of enforcement and annulment proceedings before Egypt and UK courts.
- Karim A. Youssef testified on issues of Egyptian law in the context of a multi-billion-dollar arbitration claim between a global group in the field of the supply of natural gas and a Middle Eastern state.
- The firm’s team gives strategic and transactional advice concerning the contractual network underlying the establishment of Egypt’s new capital.